Thursday, December 26, 2013

It was all his idea...

On Christmas day, my partner D, and I surprised our family (and our friends) with some big news: I'm 14 weeks pregnant.  D wanted to suprise both sets of parents by putting a little photo of the 13-week sonogram in a box, wrapping it, giving it to the parents, and watching the recation.  He wanted a 'Mass Effect." I didn't have a better idea, so I just went with it.

We told my Dad and his wife first.  They were properly surprised.  I think my Dad was a little shocked.  I'm not sure why.  He's already got 2 granddaughters.  But maybe he wasn't as overwhelmed as I thought.  I often misinterpret the reactions of others.  Damn it, Jim, I'm an accountant, not a psychologist.

We told D's family after that.  What a difference.  You'd think a bomb went off.  There was screaming. There was crying.  I was hugged by strangers.  I'm pretty sure D and I were the only ones who didn't cry.  After that experience (oh, and a barrage or unwanted advice), I wanted to go the gym and run a mile just to work off all the adrenaline still coursing through my veins.  I went through every breathing exercise I could think of to stave off the impending panic attack. 

Back at home, I performed Stage 3 of the 'big reveal:' Facebook.  That was much more rewarding and involved no touching.

So, here's a picture of our offspring-in-progress at 13 weeks.  I've always been rubbish at interpreting sonogram pictures, so I had to ask the nurse, "What's the crescent thing by its head?" That would be a hand.  Cute, right?



So, finally, I present our current pregnancy FAQ list 

Q: Are you getting married?
A: Maybe. We're thoroughly committed to each other, but we're not completely sure the institution of marriage is for us.  On that note, if we do get married, there will definitely not be a wedding.

Q: If you get married, are you changing your name?
A: Yes. I wasn't going to at first, but since I'm having a family, complete with kid, I think it would simplify a lot of daily details if we all had the same last name.

Q: What's your due date?
A: June 22nd 2014

Q: Do you know the baby's sex?
A: Nope. We don't know. We're going to be as surprised as everyone else when it's born.

Q: Do you want a boy or a girl?
A: I keep switching.  I only have sisters, so sometimes I think I'd be more secure raising a girl, but I have friends with baby boys, and they're awesome too.

Q: Do you have any names picked out?
A: Nope. We haven't even had that conversation...well, not any serious conversation.  There have been a lot of non-serious conversations about joke names.

Q: Are you going to quit your job?
A: Nope.  Can't afford to.  We'll figure out some form of child care so that D and I are able to keep working. 

Q: Was this planned?
A: More or less.


No comments:

Post a Comment